Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Muffin-fighter

In Finland they have a MMA (mixed martial arts) type event called Finn-fight. I suppose then this is the equivalent food fight variety? :-)

Story:
Connecticut -- "Muffin-Thrower;" That's the nickname given to a woman after thwarting a robber with her baked goods.

On July 15, the woman was standing behind the counter at the half-century-old Polish deli in New Haven, ringing up packages of Kielbasa, when a man came in the store.

He was dressed as nicely as the rest of the Sunday morning visitors, so he didn't call attention to himself. As other customers perused the selection of imported Polish, Russian and Hungarian treats, the man inquired if the deli made subs.

"Yes," came the reply. He stood behind a woman in line at the counter. "All of a sudden, he lurched and grabbed the lady by the neck," recounted the shop owner. "I thought he was hugging her. I thought, gee that was rough," she said. She quickly realized he was being more than rough.

"This is a stickup!" he said. "Give me all your money, or I'm gonna shoot her!"

The shop owner quickly took in the situation. "I didn't see any gun." She saw him reach his hand towards a bag to retrieve something. "I didn't believe he had a gun, and I figured I was faster than him," she said, explaining her next, risky move.

She looked towards the baseball bat she keeps leaned against the counter. "I couldn't get it fast enough." But "I had all the muffins here," she said, pointing to a tray of a dozen wrapped muffins and Danishes, sitting on the counter.

"You son of a bitch!" she screamed, flipping the tray, launching the muffins at the man.
From the force of the woman's yelling, and the rain of pastries, the robber got disoriented. He ran away.

No comments: