Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Ornamental stick-fighting

UK -- A 66-year-old mother of five originally from Belfast, grabbed an ornamental wooden stick (called a shillelagh) from her wall, shouting "Are you ready for me?" before swinging it at two men, who burgled her home after claiming to be from the water board.

The feisty woman told police the men were frozen to the spot as she grabbed one by the neck and lashed out at them, before shouting to neighbours for help. The men fled and made off in their van with her purse and a sum of cash, but were arrested after police chased them down.

The woman said she hoped that her bravery would inspire other elderly people to defend themselves."I shouted at them and I started hitting them. I think they realised then that they had picked on the wrong person," she said.

"They thought I was an easy target, but I am not soft. I grew up in Belfast and I've got five children and 17 great grandchildren. I won't be pushed around. "I don't think I was brave," she said. "I just didn't think about it. They were trying to rob me and I was going to defend my home."

Source

No comments: