Tuesday, August 01, 2006

At least two underwears

For 20-year-old Maryjoy Galendes, the fierce armed conflict in Lebanon was a blessing in disguise.

While admitting that the war was a very terrifying experience, Galendes said she was thankful that it erupted because it gave her a chance to escape the maltreatment of her Lebanese employer.

Zaida Laud, 26, vowed not to go back to Lebanon after she was almost raped by the son of her employer.

Galendes and Laud were among the over 200 OFWs evacuated from war-torn Lebanon.

Many of the returning Filipina workers said they experienced different forms of abuses. Wearing multiple underwear, they said, is a common practice among them.

"We wore at least two underwears as a protection from possible rape," they explained.

Unlike Galendes, Laud said she was lucky to have a very good employer. But it was the son who wasn’t.

"My employer was good to me but I do not want to go back there because the 17-year-old son of my employer tried to rape me but I fought and was able to escape," she revealed.

Source

No comments: